Ahmed M. El Wakil was elected President of ASCAME during the General Assembly of the Association, held on 22 November 2017 in Barcelona, Spain.
The President of ASCAME is elected by the Executive Committee and approved by the General Assembly. The President ensures that the decisions taken by the General Meeting, Executive Committee and Bureau are implemented and its term of office lasts for two years and may be renewed once for a consecutive period.
Ahmed M. El Waki
In addition to his functions within ASCAME, Ahmed M. El Wakil is President of:
- the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce
- Union of African Chambers of Commerce, Agriculture, Industry and Professions
- the Egyptian-Russian Economic Council
- the Egyptian-Syrian Economic Council
He also holds various positions as:
- Vice-President of the Islamic Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Treasurer of the Arab Union of Chambers of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Franco-Arab Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Chamber of Commerce Belgium – Luxembourg – Arab Countries
In public, Ahmed M. El Wakil is:
- Member of the “Committee of 50”, whose objective is to draft a new Egyptian constitution
- Member of the Board of Directors of the National Social Insurance Organisation
- Member of the Board of Directors of the General Authority for Investments and Free Zones
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Alexandria Port Authority
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Internal Trade Development Authority
Privately, Ahmed M. El Wakil is:
- Founder – President of the Wakalex Group and Wakalex for Trade and Industry
- Member – Founder of the Board of Directors of Antoniadis for Urban and Tourist Development and Rapid Bus Transport
The General Assembly is composed of all the members of ASCAME. Its main task is to define the general policy and significant lines of the activity of the Association.
The Executive Committee is the permanent management and administrative body of ASCAME. The Executive Committee consists of only full members bordering the Mediterranean Sea, in the number of one per country.
The Bureau acts on behalf of the Executive Committee in regards to ordinary and ongoing matters. The Bureau consists of eight Chambers of Commerce and Industry chosen from the Executive Committee members.
The Commissions are the heart of the Association and act as think thanks for ideas, proposals and programmes related to different fields and relevant sectors of the Mediterranean. They allow ASCAME to focus on the main objectives of its Strategic Plan.
The General Secretariat is responsible for monitoring the decisions taken by the General Meeting, the Executive Committee and the Bureau, conserving ASCAME records and providing secretarial services.